Friday, September 20, 2013

The beginning... Preschool

We started pre-school this year. Penelope is enrolled in the developmental preschool through the school district and she is doing awesome! She loves school. Whenever she sees her backpack she asks to put it on and then runs around saying backpack backpack over and over. It is so cute. It was very hard to send her to school. In fact it still is. I drove her to school the first day and took her into her classroom. She sat right down and started to play. Didn't even notice when I was leaving. When I picked her up she was all smiles and the teacher said she had a very good day.
 
The second day of school she rode the bus!!! Everyone thinks I am crazy for sending my 3 yr old on a bus to school, but she loves it. She gets really excited when she sees the bus coming down the road. She signs bus over and over and makes sure Scotty does too. The last couple of times she has done a little dance on the sidewalk once she sees the bus- so cute to watch. They strap her into a harness once she sits down. So I don't worry about her getting up and down the whole time. Plus there is an aid that rides with the kids and there are only 3 kids on her bus. Kinda funny actually because she rides in the really big bus with only 3 little kids. Silly :) When I pick her up in the afternoon she is always asleep on the bus. School and therapy everyday really wears her out.
The hardest adjustment for me has been not knowing what her day at school is like. When I pick her up from therapy in the morning I get a play by play on everything from activities to attitude, but not with school. I hardly get any feedback and that is hard, not knowing. But it is normal, I know the teacher doesn't have time to right a play by play for all her kids everyday :)
Side note: the kids love playing with this huge mug. It covers their whole face!!!
 
I know Scotty misses her every day. He is always very excited when we go to meet the bus in the afternoon. He loves to play with penny and the two of them cause lots of trouble together.
My children are growing up so fast. I can hardly believe we are into the school year and getting ready to expand our family once again. Changes are hard, but we learn a lot from them and Penny is learning and growing every day. It is worth it. :)

1 comment:

Krystal said...

That's great that she is liking school and the bus. Nathan's favorite part is the bus too. I think it's funny that they have a full size bus for just a few little ones. (That's how Nathan's bus is too.) I agree it is hard not getting much feedback from school. I like to know exactly what's going on, what they did, etc. But it would be hard for a teacher to give a play by play for each student. Congratulations again on your upcoming arrival.