Saturday, March 19, 2011

World Down Syndrome Day

March 21st is world down syndrome day. This date was chosen specifically for the numbers 21 and 3. In most people with Down syndrome, there is an extra copy of Chromosome 21 (down syndrome is also called trisomy 21 because there are three copies of this chromosome instead of two), which changes the body’s and brain’s normal development. I thought is was a pretty clever idea to come up with this date. I encourage all of you to visit the word down syndrome day website. It explains the reasoning and is just interesting. (I thought so anyway).

The point of this day is to celebrate down syndrome and to encourage all to learn more and get involved. So I am going to challenge all of my readers to do just that. I have a few suggestions but feel free to explore on your own. I would love to hear what you find and to learn right along with you.
My simple ideas: visit the National Down Syndrome Society website. Watch this video. I found it on the NDSS website and I liked it. Kinda interesting. or visit some blogs. I found this list of down syndrome blogs. I haven't read all of them, just a few, so I am not promising anything. But I think it is fun to read them and hear about all these children and adults with down syndrome.
The only way people will become more aware and learn is to get the word out there. So I also encourage all of you to either blog, tweet, facebook, e-mail (whatever suits your interest) about down syndrome and your thoughts or links on March 21st.
I will be doing a blog post about a few of my thoughts on this day- so please come back and visit.
Thanks for listening. I want all of you to know that this is dear to my heart. You are all aware Penelope has trisomy 21. I look at her and smile, I wouldn't change anything about her. She is special and means the world to me. I just want all of you to understand how special and talented these individuals are and can be. Thanks for the taking the time and for celebrating this day with our family.                                       

No comments: