Friday, November 14, 2014

Ears, Ears, Ears

Little Miss Penny has been through a lot lately with her ears. We got the hearing aids and I really do think they help a lot. The first day we put them in she was so excited and kept pointing to her ears and had a huge smile on her face. That night at dinner she wouldn't stop jabbering. It was pretty funny. I think she just liked to hear her voice.
I wish I could say that since then, things have been awesome, but unfortunately the day after we got her hearing aids we went to see the ENT doctor to go over the results of the CT Scan. We were told she had a chronic infection inside the mastoid bone in her right ear. This kind of infection can get serious very quickly and it can affect the hearing. The doctor advised a surgery to go in and remove the infected tissue and air cells inside the bone. Apparently antibiotics don't work on this type of infections so surgery was necessary.
 
 
 
 
So we were scheduled 3 weeks out. Until then it wasn't productive to wear both hearing aids since it wouldn't make a different in the right ear. So we just kept at it with the left hearing aid. But I think it felt/sounds weird to her only having good hearing in one ear so she give me quite a bit of trouble with keeping it in. It is a headache to constantly put it in over and over again. I am really worried she is just going to lose it!
 
 
 
So the week before Halloween we did yet another surgery for Miss Penny. They performed a mastoidectomy and also place ear tubes in each ear again. I hope this time they actually stay in. She did really well with everything. She couldn't eat all morning and her surgery didn't start until 1:00pm and she didn't even complain a little. She knows the routine pretty well by now, so she let them do all her vitals and everything and then went to play while we waited. (there is a lot of waiting)
 


 
The surgery went well. Took about 1 1/2 hours. It took her a while to wake up. She was pretty out of it. When she finally woke up she ate 2 popsicles- she had to eat at least one to get released- the nurse kept offering her more and finally I said no! She hadn't eaten all day and she didn't need all that sugar right away. Well I was right because she got sick on the drive home. :( Poor thing.
 
 
She was on lots of different medication for a while. We finally finished the last of it this week. The pain medicine they gave her made her really hyper. She wouldn't sit still for more than a few minutes so I was glad when we could just switch to Tylenol. We have a follow up appointment next week so hopefully everything looks good. We will have to check her hearing again and then we will address her wearing both hearing aids again.
My parents were awesome and volunteered to come and help out through all this. I am so grateful they are willing to help and drive all the way up here. It give me peace of mind not having to worry about the boys while I am with Penny at the hospital. Plus my kids just love them so it is always a treat to have them around.
Hopefully we will be finished with surgeries for a while after this. I really hate putting her through all of this! Glad it all went well this time.



No comments: