Monday, September 19, 2011

New Eats, New Feet

Well I guess I have to admit that fall has arrived- despite the 90 degree weather- if my husband has already been hunting for elk. Yes it is true he decided to go early for the muzzle loader hunt and he was actually successful his first time out. Both him and our friend Chris were able to get elk. So we spent most of last week cutting and packaging elk to fill up our freezer. Honestly I wasn't very excited to be getting all this elk, but we cooked up some steak last night and it was delish! I was very impressed and can't wait until we get to have some again. So we are blessed with good eats this winter. He now has his sights set on getting a deer. I told him I don't mind as long and we do mostly jerky and pepperoni. I am not a big deer fan! :)
 Penny is now the proud owner of braces for her feet. I must admit when they first told me I had the picture of Forest Gump in my mind and I was scared. I didn't' want to see my little girl like that! However, with modern technology I hardly notice her braces at all. They are very discreet and she looks very cute with them on.
She needs the braces to help keep her feet in the correct position as she stands. Without the braces she has "floppy feet" and they bend inward when she puts pressure on them. Also she has a tendency to only stand on her heels which leads to hyper extending her knees. It looks very uncomfortable to see her stand without these braces. But now with the braces on she is all straightened out and she can stand for longer periods of time. I am very glad we chose to do this treatment. They will not give me a time line on how long she will need to wear them but most likely she will need something to help her most of her life, our goal is to eventually get down to just an insert for her shoes.
She is adjusting well to having the braces on. She doesn't normally wear shoes and she must wear shoes with the braces in order for them to be effective, plus the shoes need to be supportive. (in other words no sandals). So the first day she wasn't use to the extra weight on her feet and she kicked herself multiple times in the head (remember she is also very bendable). So the first couple of days she was frustrated, but now she seems to realize she has no other choice and is learning to get along with them. I am also learning to put them on faster and easier which is nice for both of us! :)
She is an amazing little girl and she surprises me everyday with all she is doing. We are so lucky to have her in our lives.

4 comments:

Lacey said...

She looks so grown up with her new shoes. Can't wait to see you guys again. You don't want to come to Hamilton sometime do you? Love ya

Dawn said...

She is adorable. You don't even notice the braces. I wish I could see you guys.

Stacey said...

What a cutie! I can't wait to meet her! I miss the Carpenter family.

Curtis and Steph said...

It's been soo long since I've checked blogs!! First...congrats on the next baby-to-be!!! I'm so excited for you guys!!! Second, Penny is growing more and more beautiful each new day! What a sweet blessing she is! Love her pink leg braces! Definitely cute enough to sport around! :) And lastly...I totally miss you!!! I hope you are doing amazing Morgan!!